Resume ofSteven L. Murov firstname.lastname@example.org
Birthday: October 16, 1940
Birthplace: Los Angeles
Marital Status: Married (12/1/89 - Carolyn Ann Murov)
Children: Wendy F. Rosenow (7/16/69), Lori B. Solus (8/1/71), David T. Murov (4/10/76) stepchildren: Annesa Hartman, Jeffeson Hartman
Grandchildren: Dylan Rosenow (01/19/01), Hope Solus (05/29/01), Carson Rosenow (07/15/03), Mylee Murov (06/07/10), Harrision Murov (12/05/16)
Life Member - California Scholarship Federation
Menlo-Atherton High School; Atherton, California, 1954-1958
Harvey Mudd College; Claremont, California, 1958 -
B.S., 1962, Chemistry Major, California State Scholarship
Undergraduate research supervisor - Dr. P. C. Myhre
Honors and Distinction at graduation
University of Chicago; Chicago, Illinois, 1962 - 1966
California Institute of
Technology: Pasadena, California, 12/66 - 1/68
State University of New York at Stony Brook; Assistant
Professor of Chemistry, 2/68 - 8/73
SUMMER AND SABBATICAL POSITIONS
Stanford High Energy Physics Laboratory, 6/58 -
California Research Corporation, 6/62 - 9/62
University of Notre Dame Radiation Lab, Notre Dame, Indiana, Consultant, 6/86 - 8/86
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA,
Consultant for Science Education Center, 6/90 - 8/90, 6/91 - 8/91
Petroleum Research Foundation Grant, 1970 -
Research Corporation Grant, 1970 - 1971
Eisenhower Program Science Grant, MAPS
Modesto Area Partners in Science Program Director, 9/89 -
1. Hundreds of presentations given involving chemistry demonstrations to turn kids on to science and make people aware of the fun, excitement and importance of science (Springfield, IL, Moorhead, MN, Bakersfield, CA, Modesto, CA). Some of the presentations were by my alter-ego, Dr. Al Chemist, pictured above. In addition, presentations have been given to science award ceremonies, teacher assemblies and four to local ACS sections (Decatur, IL; Fargo, ND; San Luis Obispo, CA; Sacramento (Stockton), CA, on how to present chemistry in a stimulating and exciting educational way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SSm4MaDKdI
2. As Director of Modesto Area Partners in Science from 1989 to 2003, I invited and hosted over 100 free presentations for the Modesto community (monthly on Friday evenings) by prestigious speakers on science related topics. Most were intended for audiences of people from junior high through senior citizens and typically drew between 200 and 500 people. About once/semester, presenters for people of all ages were brought in (including myself) and audiences usually ranged from 600 to capacity audiences of 900. After 2003, a committee took over operation of MAPS but I have continued to serve on the committee and invite speakers. Last year I invited and hosted 5 of the 9 speakers and this year 2 of the 8 speakers.
3. As Director of MAPS between about 1991 and 1995, my team organized annual science conferences for teachers with many presenters. Attendance was about 300 to 500 K-12 teachers.
4. Organized benefit for the Great Valley Museum with
presentation by Dr. Al Chemist and the Mischiefs. 10/21/16 - see:
5. Presentation scheduled for 900 school children in the downtown Modesto Gallo Theater by Dr. Al Chemist and the Mischiefs. 3/15/17
Free downloadable lab book for the college level organic chemistry course posted
Experiments and Exercises in Organic Chemistry: A Challenge Oriented Approach - http://murov.info/orglab/orglab.htm
For web sites, see: http://murov.info/
L. Murov, Experiments in General Chemistry, 6th
ed., Cengage, 2015. (and all earlier
Murov, S. J. Chem. Ed., 2013, 90, 1484-5. "Liquid-Solid Density: Observations and Demonstrations." http://pubs.acs.org/toc/jceda8/90/11
Murov, S. J. Chem. Ed., 2013, 90, 1486-7. "Climate Change: A Demonstration with a Teaching Moment." http://pubs.acs.org/toc/jceda8/90/11
S. Murov, Chem 13 News, March, 2010. Promoting Insight: Atomic Mass.
S. L. Murov and B. Stedjee, Experiments and Exercises
in Basic Chemistry, 7th ed., Wiley, New Jersey,
2009. (and all earlier editions)
S. Murov, J. Chem. Ed., 84 , 1224 (2007). "Reaction-Map of Organic Chemistry."http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed084p1224
T. J. Ognibene, G. Bench, J. S. Vogel, G. F. Peaslee and S. Murov, Anal. Chem., 75, 2192 (2003). "A High ThroughputMethod for the Conversion of CO2 Obtained from Biochemical Samples to Graphite in Septa-Sealed Vials for 14C-AMS Quantification."
S. Murov, J. Chem. Ed., 78, 1429 (2001). "Exploring Chemistry Resources on the Internet." For abstract, see: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed078p1429 (also includes full text for J. Chem. Ed. subscribers.)
S. Murov and B. Stedjee, J. Chem. Ed., 78, 1389 (2001). "Analysis of Zinc Tablets: An Extension to a Stoichiometry Experiment." For abstract, see:http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed078p1389 (also includes full text and experimental supplement for J. Chem. Ed. subscribers.)
S. L. Murov, Exercises and Tutorial Links for Malone, Wiley
S. L. Murov, Chemistry Webercises Directory, Wiley (1998). [http://murov.info/webercises.htm ]
S. L. Murov, J. Chem. Ed., 71, 1082 (1994). "Chemistree".
S. L. Murov, I. Carmichael and G. Hug, Handbook of Photochemistry, 2nd
ed., Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York (1993).
S. L. Murov, J. Chem. Ed., 54, 368 (1977). "Grignard Synthesis of Triphenylmethanol: An Interest Adding Feature."
S. L. Murov, PLATO Lessons (1975). "Interpretation of Mass Spectra" and "Chromatography".
S. L. Murov, Handbook of Photochemistry, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York (1974).
S. L. Murov, Loh-sheng Yu and L. P. Giering, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 95, 4329 (1973). A Mechanistic Study of the Quenching of Naphthalene Fluorescence by cis,trans-1,3-Cycloctadiene."
S. L. Murov and M. Pickering, J. Chem. Ed., 50, 74 (1973). "The Odor of Optical Isomers - An Experiment in Organic Chemistry."
N. C. Yang, S. L. Murov and T. C. Shieh, Chem. Phys. Letters, 3, 6 (1969). "Radiationless Decay Processes in 2-Naphthaldehyde."
S. Murov and G. S. Hammond, J. Phys. Chem., 72, 3797 (1968). "Mechanisms of Photochemical Reactions in Solution, LVI. A Singlet-Sensitized Reaction."
S. Murov, R. S. Cole and G. S. Hammond, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 90, 2957 (1968). "Mechanisms of Photochemical Reactions in Solution. LIV. A New Mechanism for Photosensitization."
N. C. Yang, D. S. McClure, S. Murov, J. J. Houser and R. Dusenberry, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 89, 5466 (1967). "Photoreduction of Acetophenone and Substituted Acetophenones."
N. C. Yang and S. Murov, J. Chem. Phys., 45, 4358 (1966). "On the Phosphorescence of 1-Indanone."
S. Murov, D. S. McClure and N. C. Yang, J. Chem. Phys., 45, 2204 (1966). "Dependence of Sensitized Biacetyl Phosphorescence Intensity on Exciting Light Intensity."
N. C. Yang and S. Murov, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 88, 2852 (1966). "Dependence of the Quantum Yield of Photoreduction of Benzophenone in 2-Propanol on Light Intensity. Possibility of Triplet Quenching by the Radical Intermediates in Solution."
N. C. Yang, M. Nussim, J. J. Jorgenson and S. Murov, Tetrahedron Letters, 3657 (1964). "Photochemical Reactions of Carbonyl Compounds in Solution. The Paterno-Buchi Reaction."
P. C. Myhre, S. L. Murov, R. C. Clark and L. Armi, Abstracts of the 144th Meeting of the American Chemical Society, 19M (1963). "Kinetics and Isotope Effect Studies of the Electrophilic Debromination of 2,4,6-Tri-t-butylbromobenzene."
Cover of Journal of Chemical Education, November 12, 2013: Vol. 90, Iss. 11. Photo by Steven Murov
Wiley Publishing Co. Cengage 5th , 6th ed.
visitor counter restarted at zero 07/26/12
site last modified 11/03/17